Error: User modify failed. Cannot modify user on other node: Authentication by SSH key failed!
Check the following on the slave/secondary node
1. The error ’User modify failed Cannot modify user on other node: Authentication by ssh key failed’ would occur when the Ezeelogin installed node has its public key missing in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys. To add the key, execute the following command
Check if the key is back in the file.
Run the following command to check if you have enabled the recommended sshd settings in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
2. Also, make sure that the port sshd is listening on the servers is given as the gateway port in Settings->General->Miscellaneous->Gateway SSH port
3. Also, make sure PubkeyAuthentication is set to ’YES’ in your sshd_config (sshd configuration) file. In Centos/RHEL/Fedora it would be
4. Also, make sure root login is permitted on the gateway server.
You can check this by doing
and it should log you in else edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and set PermitRootLogin yes
and make sure you are able to authenticate with the command
Make sure you are able to login after entering the password.
4. Also, make sure that the web user(apache, nobody, etc) that the webserver(apache/nginx) runs as is able to read the keys in the dir /usr/local/etc/ezlogin.
Make sure to grant the read privileges to
5. Find out which key type is used by the server by running the below command.
Open /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and append below line to enable RSA key type.
6. Check the log file /var/log/secure
Refer below article if you get "userauth_pubkey: signature algorithm ssh-rsa not in PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms"
6. Reset Ezeelogin cluster keys